Thursday, May 06, 2010

DotNetRocks in Boston


This past Monday I went to see the Boston stop of the DotNetRocks road trip, hosted by Carl Franklin and Richard Campbell. The duo put on a good event, bringing in guest Chris Sells for their podcast, as well as a panel of guests to discuss F#.

The portion of the evening I found most interesting was the F# discussion. I didn't expect to get much out of it. I had heard enough of F# to that point to make up my mind that it wasn't for me. I reasoned that if it isn't a language I can completely switch to, I'm better off focusing on VB or C#.

So I was surprised when I heard the F# experts suggest that we use the language to complement our projects rather than use it as an all-purpose language. They encouraged us to use the language for its strengths, such as asynchronous processing and parallelism. One could create an assembly written in F# and include that in a VB project, for example, to handle some heavy computations. We already use a handful of non-core languages in our projects such as HTML, Javascript, LINQ or SQL, so the idea of blending yet another language into our projects is not a foreign concept.

The panel suggested we add F# to our repertoire and understand its strengths, and use it where it's beneficial. I'm going to take that advice. Bottom line is if I can replace 50 lines of confusing C# code with 10 lines of elegant F#, I've done myself a service.

A big thank you to Carl and Richard for their hard work in putting this event together, and for entertaining me with their podcasts during my commutes, jogs, walks, and housework.

No comments: